www.thegardenisland.com

Monk Seal and Me...

Search This Blog

Saturday, February 22, 2014

"In Search of the perfect Matzo Ball Soup..." 'Judith Whitehead' (Inspiration Sunday)

Judith Whitehead  lives in Amherst, N.Y. and has
worked in the ophthalmology field of medicine for
over 30 years.

In Search of the perfect Matzo Ball Soup

Kimo's chicken potato, carrot and spinach matzo ball soup!
I feel like the Janice Oaken, a foodie that reviews restaurants, of matzo Ball soup. I have sampled this  kind of soup from the East Coast to the West in search of the perfect and most flavorful bowl of the soup for the soul, the Jewish penicillin, the most comfort soup around.

Recently I was in Cleveland and visited Lenny and Corkys’ kosher deli; I have to say I was disappointed with their recipe, the matzo ball was light and flavorful but the broth was dark yellow and very fatty tasting with no flavor except the greasy taste . 

This year Buffalo had its first deli open up kosher style in many years since our beloved Mastmans’ closed a few years ago. I was eager in anticipation to taste their soup.   They have soft matzo balls as well but the broth and the ball have no flavor, although their soup has some nice carrots and noodles in it…it is in desperate  need of salt,  I am not one that adds any salt to anything but this soup is lacking something…flavor. 

 I sampled Carneige  Deli in Manhattan this summer; their soup was very delicious…I think they have the recipe down after being open for the last 50 years or more. Their soup was most enjoyable and flavorful.  We have spent many times sampling Jerry's  Deli that is  a chain that spans  the entire US from Florida to California.  They also are in  a tie with Carneige Deli…great soup, great flavor and feather- light matzo balls which is the goal to a good soup.

I always have my eye out in my travels for a great deli to try; I always buy a corned beef sandwich on rye with a bowl of their soup.  If anyone has tried a great combination in any city near you…please share…
Until my next sampling…happy tasting.


P.S. Check out Oma's recipe for the perfect Matzo ball soup;

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/omas-fabulous-matzo-ball-soup/



Hana Hou, (Encore) Shared From Facebook...





1 comment:

KimoRosen said...

I always just add matzo balls to my chicken vegetable soup. Included are carrots celery, onion garlic, zucchini, potato and ginger with white meat chicken breast, then add matzo balls, check my photo enclosed within blog!