www.thegardenisland.com

Monk Seal and Me...

Search This Blog

Friday, January 7, 2011

"How to shop in a recessed economy..."

Hawaii has some of the most outrageous grocery prices in the country. One loaf of white bread can run five dollars or more, a half gallon of ice cream can run $9.00 and imagine paying $7.50 for a small package of 8 Oscar Meyer wieners.

Here's what I do, I visit at least one local grocery store everyday and search for red tag items, items that are almost ready to expire.

I have bought, cream cheese for fifty cents, yogurts for fifteen cents, Kosher Hebrew national hot dogs package of 8 for one dollar, pies, breads, Pillsbury biscuits, bricks of cheese, salad dressings, salsa, almost any item you can think of from fresh baked goods to national canned products. I have bought almost everything at one time or another for one dollar or less.

Plan your meals around around red tag prices, freeze foods when you see them on sale and save for a later time. I can walk out of the local grocery with three bags of groceries for under ten dollars, the savings is tenfold if not more. The savings are remarkable and I always feel proud of getting such great deals. It's a game for me, I will by items I have never tasted if they are red tagged and have found many new likes and dislikes. Call it a game, call it a sickness or just call it survival in a recessed economy.

Gasoline, that's another story with gas prices in Hawaii at close to $4.00 a gallon I ride a bike...

1 comment:

David Starr said...

There is an outfit called EatFree. They work with Walmart to get a substantial discount on gas and groceries. The only thing is you must know is where a Walmart with a gas station is located and I think it must be within 50 miles of your address, or something like that. Not really sure about the 50 miles because a Walmart is only 6 miles from me here in Orlando.

I joined it last December and love it. The process to get started was real easy. I just had to put my name, phone number, and
home zipcode (so they can see if you live in the right area I think) on their website, if you're in the right area they will email you
back.

It took a little bit of time and effort, but now I enjoy Walmart gas and groceries. There is an upper limit that you can get on your Walmart card, I think it is $200 or something like that -- but believe me an extra couple of hundred bucks a month gives my family our weekly trip to the movies again... or you can always buy more gas.. LOL.
The website is http://www.eatfree.us
In the comments put that you are asking about the Walmart Eatfree discount program.