www.thegardenisland.com

Monk Seal and Me...

Search This Blog

Monday, July 27, 2015

"Feather Ruffling & Special Memorial Tribute To Dr. Scott Sims, The Aloha Vet-(Kimo's world #81)

James "Kimo"Rosen is a retired Professional
 Photographer living on the Garden Island
 of Kaua'i with his best friend Obama Da Dog.

Kimo's World #81
Feather Ruffling & Special Memorial  Tribute
 To Dr. Scott Sims, The Aloha Vet




This past year I picked up a new hobby. I was never an early riser but for 200 consecutive mornings I awoke  early and photographed the Kauai sunrise from the lanai where I reside.  I posted 5 photos a day called "Sunrise, Spirit face and Cloud therapy." I had a decent  following of anywhere from 20-50 people a day.   Some people actually said  my photos helped ignite their day.  One friend in particular had moved to Arizona and told everyone how much these photos did for her well being. She later  passed.  Her son emailed me upon her passing  and thanked me for making his  mother's last days comfortable with her seeing the beauty of Kauai every day on my Facebook timeline.


How many hobbies are as good as that?

Nobody ever  had a negative response to my sunrise therapy/spirit face photos, how different from writing opinion articles where whatever you say is put under a microscope and dissected to the point of insanity.

 I have been told that I ruffle the feathers of many. The Urban  dictionary defines ruffling one's feathers as,"Playfully and flirtatiously annoying someone to a point when  they hate to love you and can't get enough of you.(even though they're angry and aggravated)
This meme was used to promote
this blog on Facebook...

However the Hana Hou, the best part is that  every once in a while somebody actually compliments you and says,  "that was really a funny article, so funny I spit out my morning coffee when reading it." Finally, somebody understood  my satire!
That's what makes writing such a passion and rush for me.

Feel free to laugh, spit out out your morning beverage, cry, pout, rollover, stress and curse me behind  my back or even right in front of me. 
See you soon with something new to ruffle those feathers.

 

In Honor and Memory of a Great Man, Dr.Scott Sims-The Aloha Vet
E ho'omaha me ka maluhia -Rest in Peace Dr. Sims...
I hope the county of Kaua'i or better yet the whole state of Hawai'i can fly the flag at half staff in honor and memory of an island icon, Dr. Scott Sims.
My Heartfelt condolences to all family and friends of one amazing man.
Rest in Peace Dr. Scott Sims Aloha Vet
E ho'omaha me ka maluhia 

Check out this 2 minute YouTube video, "A day in the life of Scott Sims!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfNct6mXx1k



Dr. Scott Sims passed away on the island of Kauai on Saturday morning July 25th 2015. He was surrounded by his family and friends and is now at peace after fighting a  hard battle with cancer.
Scott brought compassion to all of those around him. He shared his amazing brilliance as a doctor of veterinarian medicine, a true scientist, inventor, teacher, mentor, pilot, builder, welder, writer, and so much more. The National Geographic TV series, “Aloha Vet”, starring Dr. Scott Sims, allowed Scott to share his love for animals and his cherished island of Kauai with the nation. His spirit, talents, and friendship will be immensely missed by all who knew him.

Updated at 5:15 P.M.-HST- on July 27,2015.Update from Scott Sims Aloha Vet​ care page;

New update
Posted 1 hour ago
Aloha to everybody that adored Scott Sims. Memorial plans are getting closer. I will notify everybody ASAP. I am waiting to get confirmation for the date and venue. I wanted to share with you that Scott was grateful to spend time with all people who meant so much to him during his life. He decided to do a few more episodes of "Aloha Vet" so he could make the point about quality of life being more important then quantity of life. And he wanted to make sure that people knew to get out and really live. "It ends all to soon"....Scott would say. But he was determined to put together a foundation that would supply people and the animals of Kauai with "pay as able" veterinary care. This was Scott's #1 wish to launch The Pegasus Foundation. You can make a donation at: www.pegasusfoundationkauai.org
I will keep everybody updated! I promise.

For further reading on Dr. Scott check out;
"The Aloha Vet,Now Imagine an Aloha MD"
"Dr. Sims goes viral"

Read Dr. Scott's front page obituary form the Garden Island news;
"Goodbye, Aloha Vet."

From Nat Geo Wild's Facebook page, 
2473 shares and 4640 likes as of 
SundayJuly 26,2015

Nat Geo WILD is sorry to share the news that, along with our friends at Endemol Shine North America, we lost a dear member of our family yesterday. Dr. Scott Sims, star of our popular Aloha Vet series, passed away in his beloved Hawaii after a short battle with cancer.
Famous for answering calls day and night to care for his patients, he truly embodied the spirit of our network by always putting animals first, and for that he will be greatly missed. Our only consolation is that we got to share his incredible talent and humanity with the world, if just for one season.
Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends at this difficult time.
Like   Comment   
  • You and 4,640 others like this.
  • 2,473 shares
  • James Kimo Rosen

    Write a comment...
  • Scott Sims Aloha Vet To Our Amazing Friends, Family & Treasured Animals,
    It is with a heavy heart we share the news that our beloved Dr. Scott Sims passed away on the island of Kauai on Saturday morning July 25th 2015. He was surrounded by his family and friends and is no
    ...See More


    To the visitors of The Pegasus Foundation, I bid you welcome. It’s all about helping the animals of Kauai...
    PEGASUSFOUNDATIONKAUAI.ORG
    Like · Reply · 160 · 4 hrs
  • Robbin Maynard He got to live his life the way he wanted to, not many of us can say that. Rip Dr. Scott.
    Like · Reply · 176 · 8 hrs
  • Valeria Parejo Very sorry for the loss of a man dedicated to caring for animals. My thoughts are with his friends and family.
    Like · Reply · 83 · 8 hrs
  • Sue Barnett So sorry to hear this, so grateful to have been able to see what an incredible human being he was. Thank you National Geographic for letting the rest of us get to see his compassion for animals.
    Like · Reply · 48 · 6 hrs
  • Suzanne Mclaughlin-Horan My prayers go out to his family and friends. Loved his show and was looking forward to coming back for another season. He seemed so kind and loving to all the animals and people in the show. I true loss for all. Rest in peace.
    Like · Reply · 42 · 8 hrs
  • Ariel Sada I loved his show. I am so sorry to hear of his passing. My condolences to his family and friends. He will be missed. RIP.
    Like · Reply · 39 · 7 hrs
  • Amy Goodman Harvell This man was a true example of having a heart for other beings and having a true passion for his work. Thoughts and prayers for his family. I loved every minute of his shows.
    Like · Reply · 23 · 5 hrs
  • Michelle Lynn Dannenmann Williams I truly enjoyed his show. He was an amazing man and vet. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family, friends and all his patients.
    Like · Reply · 18 · 5 hrs
  • Dee Huskinson My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends. May all the angels of animals greet him at the door.
    Like · Reply · 16 · 5 hrs
  • Sandhya Karkera Rest In Peace. My sympathies to his family
    Like · Reply · 12 · 5 hrs
  • Beth Willoughby I was totally saddened and heart broken to hear this!! What a great man he was...his love, care, dedication and endless hours of helping God's creatures will never be forgotten!! Prayers and thoughts are with all the many friends and especially to his family at this very sad time! 
    Like · Reply · 11 · 5 hrs
  • Emily Jean Hay Rest in peace. Now he can care for all our pets that have passed. My thoughts go out to his family.
    Like · Reply · 9 · 4 hrs
  • Jeanne Van Horn Sorry to hear this!! Apparently God needed another Angel in Heaven he was an Angel here on Earth as he devoted his life to caring for those who cannot care for themselves! Prayers to his family, and associates!!
    Like · Reply · 7 · 4 hrs
  • Virginia Williams Selley Prayers of peace for his family, friends and community.... Thank you Dr. Scott Sims for sharing your life with us. smile emoticon
    Like · Reply · 6 · 4 hrs
  • Ingrid Frank So sore for his loss. Thoughts and prayers to his family and friends. Loved his shows. 🏻🏻
    Like · Reply · 5 · 5 hrs
  • Jennifer Parnell God's blessings on him and his family. He was fun to watch and had a passion for life and animals. He will be missed. Rest in Peace Doc.
    Like · Reply · 5 · 4 hrs
  • Liz Nelms Very sad to hear. Thoughts and prayers to his family and friends.
    Like · Reply · 5 · 5 hrs
  • Susan Hitt Piotrowski Malone So very sorry to hear this ...what a wonderful man and the loving care he took in all the animals he cared for !! Thoughts and prayers for him and his family in this difficult time! !
    Like · Reply · 5 · 4 hrs
  • Shannon Cathcart I truly will miss him. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his friends, family and staff.
    Like · Reply · 5 · 4 hrs
  • Nancy Pazdzior We . Had just discovered him on Nat geo we r so saddened for his family but he did live life on his terms RIP Scott Sims Aloha Vet
    Like · Reply · 5 · 4 hrs
  • Sandy Tonne So sorry to hear this! He appeared to be a man who loved life and his work. We will miss watching his show. Our sympathies to his family.
    Like · Reply · 4 · 4 hrs
  • Karen Gustin So sorry to hear this....my thoughts and prayers for his family and friends, his talents and gifts will be truly missed.
    Like · Reply · 4 · 5 hrs
  • Dawn E. Sarver My condolences, to his family. We will really miss the show. Was waiting for a new season...
    Like · Reply · 4 · 4 hrs
  • Jan Reed My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends. This is so shocking it is hard to believe. He will be missed by many.
    Like · Reply · 4 · 5 hrs
  • Beth Thursby He was so much fun to watch, he had such a passion for the animals. May he rest in peace, and prayers for his family and friends.
    Like · Reply · 3 · 4 hrs
  • Joanna Zawadzki Oh my goodness, I'm stunned ! I did nothing but search for the reruns of his show and was anxiously awaiting new episodes. He was a joy to watch. I didn't know him personally I never had a doubt of his love & passion for his job, patients and colleague...See More
    Like · Reply · 2 · 4 hrs
  • Cheryl Ann Dwyer My condolences to his family & friends...may he fly free with all the animals he helped.
    Like · Reply · 1 · 4 hrs
  • Karen Plummer Travis So sorry to hear this. I loved watching his show on Nat Geo. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.
    Like · Reply · 1 · 4 hrs
  • Debbie Weidner What a wonderful, kind hearted Human Being. He will be Greatly missed. Our thoughts & prayers go out to his family & friends .
    Like · Reply · 1 · 4 hrs
  • Mike Lee We loved watching him and the staff. Our prayers to his family and friends. Just shows you that you never know what someone is going through. Heaven just got another angel.
    Like · Reply · 1 · 4 hrs
  • Diane Bifulk So sorry to hear about his passing....and we were just getting to know and love this beautiful animal lover.Thoughts and prayers to his family.
    Like · Reply · 1 · 2 hrs
  • Karen Eaker Bauer Prayers!!!! He truly LOVED his work w/animals!!! He & his staff will be missed!!! May he have peace with NO pain...cancer is a horrible monster that takes too many souls early!!! God Bless his family & friends!!!! So happy he got to share with everyone on TV!!!! We need more Vets like him!!!!
    Like · Reply · 1 · 2 hrs
  • Sharon Kelley Ball I'm in shock and heartbroke to hear this. I absolutely loved his love for animals, his show was amazing. This is such a loss for our animal word, and his family. Prayers for all, you will be missed Dr. SCOTT.
    Like · Reply · 1 · 3 hrs
  • Atheena Schwers So sorry our thoughts and prayers are with his family.
    Like · Reply · 1 · 2 hrs
  • Susan Lynn Our thoughts and prayers are with his family.
    Like · Reply · 4 hrs
  • Heidi Sells Bettler This is heartbreaking. He was a HERO !!! The world needs more people like him. His legacy will always be alive!!! Prayers,for his family, friends, and staff. He's at Rainbow Bridge reuniting and meeting new friends. Bless his heart!
    Like · Reply · 1 · 4 hrs
  • Kathi Turner Loved his humanity and his love of the Islands. Prayers and sympathies to his family and his family at his practice.
    Like · Reply · 1 hr
  • Diane Miller Loved dr scott. He was so informative. He did what I wanted to . He has a live for animals and you could see it in the way he cared for each and everyone of his patients. Prayers for his family and all of his clients
    Like · Reply · 3 hrs
  • Jo Eller R.I.P. Doctor Scott Sims Aloha Vet, you have many of us new insights into the practice of Veterinary medicine. Two places in my heart! hold dearly, my love of all animals Great and Small, and the most beautiful STATE in our Nation, Hawaii. One day I will come visit your island of Kauai. Now you can rest.
    Like · Reply · 1 hr
  • Sheila Carter So shocked to hear of Dr. Scott's passing. I loved his show. He will be missed. Maybe he's taking care my kitties in Heaven. Prayers to his family, friends and the island of Kauai.
    Like · Reply · 2 hrs
  • Heidi Carter-Wright I am deeply saddened by his loss, he was a great vet and very compassionate. God bless his family and friends at this difficult time 
    Like · Reply · 2 · 2 hrs
  • Wendy Goldsmith-Surprise The Animal World has lost a cherished friend. God's peace to his family, friends and co-workers. I'm sure he was welcomed home at the Rainbow Bridge by scores of beloved critters. RIP Scott Sims Aloha Vet.
    Like · Reply · 1 hr
  • Brenda McCleary Sorry to hear his news. I've had cancer and it sucks. Sometimes it is better to go to heaven than deal with it. He was a fairly young man. My condolences to his family.
    Like · Reply · 9 mins
  • Joana Larkan Wilhite My heart is broken . I loved his show and was so looking forward to the 2nd season . He was so diverse in what he did . I loved the show and had much respect for him . My prayers go out to his family and friends . ( I'm not going to say prayers for the employees who lost him because they fall in the category of family and friends ) From where I am he will be missed . ALOHA Dr. Scott Sims .
    Like · Reply · 15 mins
  • Jo Anne Hutchens So sorry to hear of this. Prayers to his family and friends.
    Like · Reply · 3 hrs
  • Kaitlyn Kister Thoughts and prayers to his family and friends for the passing of such a great man
    Like · Reply · 4 hrs
  • Lanna Clark So sorry to hear about this. I loved watching him. Glad I got to enjoy one season with him sharing his love of life and animals. He will be missed very much. He's in heaven with family and many many patients and they are having a wonderful party up there. Prayers for the family and many patients that he has left behind.
    Like · Reply · 3 hrs
  • Nancy Swanson Loved his show because of his compassion and kindness for his patients. ...His knowledge was endless and captivating. Prayers to his family and friends. RIP dear Dr. Scott.
    Like · Reply · 3 · 4 hrs
  • Neusa M Cuddeback So sorry to hear of his passing. I wasn't aware he was sick. Prayers and thoughts to his family and friends.
    Like · Reply · 3 hrs
  • Sue Menolasino Oh no! I so enjoyed watching his show and how he loved the animals he cared for. What a gentle, kind and giving man he was. My heart and prayers go out to his family, friends and associates. He will be truly missed.
    Like · Reply · 1 · 4 hrs
  • Casey DeHaven So sorry to hear this. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family. He will be truly missed. frown emoticon
    Like · Reply · 3 hrs
  • Terri Trahan So sad prayers to his family and all the animals that will miss his care
    Like · Reply · 1 · 3 hrs
  • 52 of 1,494

P.S.
If you would like to submit a quote to be seen with one of my Kaua'i sunrise photos please leave the  quote on my Facebook comments. James "Kimo" Rosen




Hana Hou, (Encore) Shared From Facebook





11 comments:

Kit Gillen said...

via Facebook,
"I will lower the flag to 1/2 mast. Thank you."

KimoRosen said...

Mahalo Kit

Pat Safron said...

Via Facebook-
I am still trying to find someone to write a book on Scotts life it has to been done.............and the foundation will grow

Marci Pritchett DeLisle said...

I totally agree ... must be written.

Deb Proctor · said...

Scott was well into writing a book and one of his main goals upon hearing his diagnosis was to finish it right away. I wish we could find a way to do that for him. The title was to be "Eating horses don't die" something I said to him around 2 am one morning upon hearing of another colic while finishing one on the table. He laughed, realizing we wouldn't have another surgery that night. I wonder if we could put some of our own experiences on paper and give it to his estate in hopes they can help bring it to completion. The mainland contingency has lots of old and very old photos and stories to contribute.

Pat Safron said...

I found a writer who did bio's her name is Jane Scovell and I did write her a letter hoping she would check into it and like I said his story has to be told

Kit Ellison said...

Doc Sims treated a cat for me and charged me nothing. He also spayed and neutered ferals for nothing because he understood the need. He will be missed.

Sent from my iPhone

Care page for Scott Sims said...

update from Scott Sims Aloha Vet care page as of 07-27-15 at 4:15 HST, "New update
Posted 1 hour ago
"Aloha to everybody that adored Scott Sims. Memorial plans are getting closer. I will notify everybody ASAP. I am waiting to get confirmation for the date and venue. I wanted to share with you that Scott was grateful to spend time with all people who meant so much to him during his life. He decided to do a few more episodes of "Aloha Vet" so he could make the point about quality of life being more important then quantity of life. And he wanted to make sure that people knew to get out and really live. "It ends all to soon"....Scott would say. But he was determined to put together a foundation that would supply people and the animals of Kauai with "pay as able" veterinary care. This was Scott's #1 wish to launch The Pegasus Foundation. You can make a donation at: www.pegasusfoundationkauai.org
I will keep everybody updated! I promise."

Alice Monaghan said...

Scott helped my Maile take her final journey this last April. His kindness and compassion helped me through an unbearable time. I called him to let him know that it was time for Maile...her cancer was beginning to restrict her breathing. In less than an hour, Scott was here at my home. I held Maile in my arms as she took her final breath as Scott stood by to let me grieve and hold this precious gift that was only in my life for five years. Maile was surrounded by love as she made her transition..it was peaceful but yet heartbreaking. I will be forever thankful to Scott, he holds a part of my heart for his love and compassion for all animals. I bet he was welcomed by all the animals as he entered heaven. The joy he must have felt seeing all of them again running, playing, healthy again and free of pain. I prayed he would find Maile in the vast numbers of pets he cared for and give her a hug from me. Until we all meet again Scott and Maile...xxoo

KimoRosen said...

Beautiful story!

KimoRosen said...

Beautiful story!