www.thegardenisland.com

Monk Seal and Me...

Search This Blog

Monday, July 10, 2017

"Glenn Mickens deserves better..!" 'James "Kimo" Rosen' (Kimo's world #196)

James "Kimo" Rosen is a retired professional photographer
 and amongst other things lived in a tent outdoors for 7 years.
Rosen currently resides on the tropical island of Kaua'i
with his best friend and spiritual adviser Ivanka-Obama Da Dog!
Ivanka is her first name and Obama is her last name
she is a bipartisan dog!

Blog #1949-Kimo's world #196
Publishers note;
For those not living Hawaii and not familiar
with Hawaiian words, the word Kupuna
is a respectful way to say;
elder, grandparent or an older person...

This blog also appeared as a 
stand alone column in the Garden Island news
on July 14, 2017;
http://thegardenisland.com/news/opinion/guest/glenn-mickens-deserves-better/article_ff176ec1-ab2b-5441-93a4-edc82578d6b2.html


Glenn Mickens deserves better



I am appalled at the letter to the letter in the Garden Island news  July 5, 2017 for numerous reasons.

"No one is listening"
http://thegardenisland.com/news/opinion/mailbag/letters-for-wednesday-july/article_a0632d05-b201-5dc6-ad91-5be445c664c0.html
A one sentence letter  from Ka’aona Kipuka to Mr. Glenn Mickens telling him  in the public forum--(enclosed is his letter in full) "Yet again another letter of absolute nothingness from our favorite “Watchdog” Mr. Mickens. Shhhhh! No one cares."
Glenn Mickens locally known
as the County watchdog and nitpicker.
Names he has become accustomed to
and does not mind being called.



Not true, I care and  know many  others on the Cosmic Garden island that care.

 First, Mr.Kipuka obviously cares! He proves beyond a reasonable doubt basic psychology 101, "That only the guilty speak." Similar to the teacher asking , "who threw that spitball?" The first kid that raises his hand and say's , I didn't do it, did it! Busted Ka’aona.

Most important, Mr. Mickens is Kupuna and deserves and has earned respect. 
Glenn  and I disagree on issues and can  debate in a gentlemanly way. Glenn is one the few that can disagree without name calling in a humane and gentlemanly manner, that is a lost art.

How many of you have a Wikipedia page? Mr. Mickens does, look it up!
How many of you played professional baseball or knew Jackie Robinson? Mr. Mickens had the honor!
I do not agree with Glenn on all political issues, I agree with Glenn that Kauai
The Ohio Air National Guard
200th Redhorse completes the
elevated switchback spur section, a
most intricate and complex portion
of the pedestrian trail.  I am pro trail
and Mr. Mickens  is anti trail.
We have debated this subject over the years
without name calling  or putting
the other guy down.


county should try a county manager style of government. We disagree on the current President, while many are unfriending each other, Glenn  and I can disagree and still be friends. We also disagree  on the pedestrian trail, however, we both respect each others opinions and have debated without name calling or putting the other guy down.


Mr. Mickens may be a nitpicker and watchdog, (names he enjoys by the way and is proud to be called) but without people like Mr. Mickens giving testimony at county council meetings and every other kind of open forum from traffic to new developments, things would be even worse than they are now. Mr. Mickens makes our politicians think and keeps them on their toes.  Mahalo Nui Loa Glenn.

I understand The Garden Island news wanting to give everyone a voice, however this was not a letter, this was one sentence of hate to an upstanding gentleman, caring citizen and KUPUNA of the Garden Island (Mr. Mickens) that deserves respect, whether you agree with him or not!
Glenn Mickens likes to talk story about
the 'good ole' days of baseball...

Photo courtesy and used by permission
of the Garden Island news
 

 I know Glenn has developed thick skin over the years as have I, however, still that letter was uncalled for in so many ways...Why publish  hateful illiterate  rants against Kupuna in the community from a person whom doesn't even exist on Google or Facebook?

Mr. Mickens will be 87 years old on July 26th and I would like to publicly wish Mr. Mickens a big  "Hau`oli Lā Hānau" -Happy Birthday, in hopes this gets published before his birth-date and let him know Many people including myself  do care and although we all don't agree, we love you as part of the Aloha Ohana and community of the Garden Island.
Your pal, 
James "Kimo" Rosen

This blog also appeared as a 
stand alone column in the Garden Island news
on July 14, 2017;
http://thegardenisland.com/news/opinion/guest/glenn-mickens-deserves-better/article_ff176ec1-ab2b-5441-93a4-edc82578d6b2.html

Correction
There is a correction to be noted in the newspaper version of this blog,
Mr. Mickens' Birthday is July 26th, not July 30th as noted.  ;-)
P.S.
Next week featured on Kimo's world will be;

"Thank you Donald Trump or should I say WTF Potus"
You won't want to miss this read, see you next Monday! 


Hana Hou, Encore!




24 comments:

Harmony Bentosino said...

I couldn't figure out from your blog what Glenn Mickens wrote his latter about. However, it's nice to see you stand up with so much support for friends or acquaintances who would appreciate having someone on their side.

KimoRosen said...

The guy was just complaining in general about Glenn's many editorials and opinion articles in the Garden Island news, saying no one cares, just very disrespectful in general. He did not make reference to any specific of his writings. ;-(

Kuuleinani Napuanani Kaninau said...

Whom & what I aspire to be....

Chester "Unc" Lau said...

Good one ,I'll treasure dis one in my dumpster .

KimoRosen said...

Gee, Thanks Unc?

Tom LaVenture said...

Best piece you ever wrote Kimo!

KimoRosen said...

Mahalo Bruddah, coming form a professional writer/journalist,that means a lot to me! ;-) I hope TGI publishes it!

Fred Levinthol said...

I don't always agree with Glenn, but then I agree a lot! Besides, Glen is a good man and honest person! Keep on writing...

Glenn Mickens-by email said...

Glenn Mickens said by email; Thank you Kimo. It is always nice to hear an encouraging word from someone like Tom who I liked. And, he was complimenting you for the way you wrote the story which was also nice of him.
Warmest regards,
Your pal,
Glenn

Tom LaVenture said...

Thanks Kimo and Glenn. I remember Glenn would be patient and explain the long background of any issue when I filled in to cover the County Council for Leo or Darin.

KimoRosen said...

Mr. Mickens Knows Kauai County policy inside out and backwards, I have always wanted him to run for office, however he is resistant. I will settle for Pro Bono Watchdog and Nitpicker! ;-)

Amy Thea said...

Per Garden Island Guest Column;
Nicely done! Amen!

Horse, from Garden Island news comments said...

Kimo, I agree. I was appalled at Ka’aona Kipuka’s letter, too. It was WAY off base and uncalled for. It would have been far more appropriate had it been a response to one of yours: “Yet again another letter of absolute nothingness from Kimo Rosen. Shhhhh! No one cares.” (And I say this in as humane and gentlemanly a manner as possible.)
Small point: your GOOD friend Mickens’ 87th birthday is actually July 26, not the 30th, as you stated. Don’t believe me? Look it up on his Wikipedia page.
Stick around long enough and someday you might have a Wikipedia page, too, Kimo. Now THAT would be the crowning achievement of your life, wouldn’t it?
Good to know you have thick skin.

Mr. Mann from Garden Island News comments said...

1) WHO CARES if Glenn Mickens has a Wikipedia page? You really show yourself to be wrapped up in the cult of "online personality," Kimo.
2) WHO CARES if Glenn Mickens played professional baseball? Did this solve some important problem in the world? He got payed for playing a game. Is his card worth something? Hall-of-Famer? ????????????????
3) WHO CARES if Glenn Mickens knew Jackie Robinson? Jackie Robinson was important for what he stood for, for what he had to put up with for being who and what he was, and for how he put up with it. Glenn isn't Jackie Robinson, and I doubt Glenn had a life that was even REMOTELY similar to Jackie Robinson's. I aIso doubt Jackie Robinson would be constantly complaining about the bike path in his undying efforts to pave over the entire island for automobiles.
Rosie Greer held me in his arms and posed for a picture with me and my two older siblings when I was about 4 or 5 years old. It doesn't mean jack.
Am I being too harsh? I guess it is just 30 years of anti-PC rhetoric and exposure to 13 years of pointless pablum in this "newspaper" has finally gotten to me. Don't blame me...I didn't open Pandora's box.

UncleAina from Garden Island News comments said...

Right on Kimo! Glenn just hates how slow, lazy and wasteful our government is. And he's right! Happy B day old dude!

Francine Grace said...

At first I wondered does Glenn not have anything better to do, when I used to watch the County Council meetings back in Kaipo Asing's days.
But now I totally get that he's there in the best interest of what's happening to our island. So thank you Glenn Mickens!!

Sendingit from the Garden Island News said...

It's funny how you guys never post any controversial in the comments. Censoring people shows you don't really care to have comments unless they are brownnosing the author and your paper. Very unprofessional

Glenn Mickens-by email said...

Aloha Kimo:
Congratulations, you got top billing from Bill in you article today! AND Kimo, I sincerely thank you for supporting my efforts to better this Island and for giving me credit for at least trying.

As I said before, sometimes it appears that my message is somehow lost in what I say and write and then I get a big boost from people like you and know that someone is really listening and cares about my work. Just like you, Kimo, with your blog and all the work you put in with it ----caring people are listening and appreciate what you do.

Please let me know of any comments you get.
Your pal,
Glenn

Anonymous said...

By the way I applaud you for being. Loyal friend to Mickens! Great article in his defense!

1newscat from Garden Island news said...

Glenn and Kimo, two broken records.

Peaceful from Garden Island news said...

I can't believe I'm actually agreeing with Kimo, but I do! Glenn is a wonderful watchdog of government ineptitude and inefficiency.
I was shocked at the gall of Kipuka telling someone else to Shhhh!
Hello. Ever heard of free speech Kipuka - so you're allowed free speech but others must shush?!! What arrogance.

Mr. J. Cooney said...

Garden Island News, Letters to editor 07-19-17

I would like to give a shout-out and big mahalo to Glenn Mickens for his 25 years on Kauai and care for the aina with his weekly attendance at the Kauai County Council meetings.
He spends hours of his time investigating, writing depositions and giving testimony on the growth of this beautiful island, trouble with infrastructure and traffic, as well as building more homes for increased population on the island without having solved the existing traffic problem we have now with local and tourist traffic.
Just drive down the highway and see for yourself, get on the side roads and feel the holes and bumps. Glenn, thank you for your precious time and care for Kauai. I agree with your issues and yes they need to be addressed!
Mahalo nui.


http://thegardenisland.com/news/opinion/mailbag/letters-for-wednesday-july/article_f5087957-9f59-57d1-82be-16da517dbc3b.html

Glenn Mickens-by email said...

Thanks again, Kimo. From all the letters or feedback I have gotten over the years from my testimonies and letters I write I would much rather hear the negatives than those who agree with me.
HOWEVER if someone disagrees with me I want to know why and what their solution is to whatever problem I am talking about. 99% of the time there are only negative words about what I say but never delving into the problem and telling me what they propose.
It is easy to criticize but not just for the sake of criticism---have a solution or alternate for what I am criticizing!!
It is not going to happen but I can always hope.
Your pal,
Glenn

Glenn Mickens-by email said...

Kimo:
A saying once went around in baseball or, for that matter in any sport.

"It's better to be a has been than a never was". This could be said in the comment we got " same old broken record from Glenn and Kimo" Better to be a broken record than no record at all.
Keep em coming!
Mahalo,
Glenn