www.thegardenisland.com

Monk Seal and Me...

Search This Blog

Monday, July 16, 2018

"The truth about visiting Hawai'i..." 'James "Kimo" Rosen' (Kimo's world # 249) ~Plus an award winning iPhone photo by Mimi Tolva~

James "Kimo" Rosen is a retired professional photographer
 and amongst other things lived in a tent outdoors for 7 years.
Rosen currently resides on the tropical island of Kaua'i
with his best friend and spiritual adviser Ivanka-Obama Da Dog!


Blog #2,002~Kimo's world's #249- (Plus an award winning iPhone photo by Mimi Tolva)
"Neighborhood watch!"
an iPhone photo by my friend, Mimi Tolva, Homer, Alaska

 "I just love this photo! 
Also the fact that a work of art can be created
 with a cell phone still amazes me. 
I remember not so long ago we needed a camera, 
film, and had to develop it and wait for the results."
James "Kimo" Rosen

The truth about visiting Hawai'i

There are many people I haven't seen in decades or only know by being friends on Facebook and because I live in Hawaii  they
have asked for a place to
A rainbow appears outside my
backdoor after a recent rain...
stay when they come on their vacation.  Just because I live in Hawaii, people I barely know think I am a free hotel?


This leaves me in precarious situation.  I live in a tiny small one bedroom apartment plus I am somewhat of a hermit by nature. I am one of those people that needs space and am a confirmed bachelor for many years, set in my ways.
I am also getting  on in years with my share of medical setbacks.   

Family and close friends cannot be denied however when someone that is a casual acquaintance wants to crash
When I was young, everyone
crashed on my floor....
not anymore...
with you for 5,7,10 days or even more, what do you say?   I have a hard time getting through an hour lunch with people, let alone spending days with someone 
I barely know in close quarters.
It's  hard to say no because when I was in my youth I was a free spirit and I crashed on people's floors and people crashed on my floor, in my closet, my couch or anywhere there was room.

I know appreciate the friends that come on vacation prepared with their  vacation rental and car rentals , call me on the phone and ask if I have time to have lunch and catch up!

This actually happened twice, and I truly  relished those hour's of my life!



Don't get me wrong, I enjoy company, just not for days on end with people I haven't seen since high school. How do I know if we will still get along?  Good chance we won't,  people change, especially in these days of political unrest.

  Advise to people intending to
visit Hawai'i and stay with friends, DONT! 


Many of us who make Hawaii  home don't have swimming pools or make drinks with umbrellas

in them or  have hula dancers hanging out. The  friends your visiting in Hawaii may have 3 generations in one house or live in cramped one bedroom or studio apartments and  would most definitely welcome the opportunity  to visit you on your next vacation to their island at your hotel. Now that's Aloha!





Make your own caption!   ;-)

Hana Hou, (Encore)







13 comments:

just friendly said...

Kimo, I can sympathize with you, since we sometimes have guests who invite themselves. It would suffice just to say you have a tiny apartment, not suitable for guests, and you aren’t that sociable. No need to make excuses about it. That is your inalienable right. Wish your “friends’ a wonderful trip, and name one or two local hotels or motels, if you feel that is appropriate. You really have no obligation.

Harmony Bentosinio said...

I've been lucky, Kimo. I've lived in Hawaii a long time, & very few friends or even relatives have asked to stay with me, & the few that did, I thoroughly enjoyed. It was easier to say no when I was married cuz then 2 people have to agree. Yet even since my divorce, few have asked to stay. My reasons for not wanting a lot of people are mostly the same as yours. If people visited and stayed a lot more in the past, there were 2 reasons for that. We were younger, & it was an earlier era! Times have changed, & so have we! You just have too many FB friends, but you know that!

Harmony Bentosinio said...

As for captioning that amazing rainbow picture, you could call it "Pot of Gold, or Just the End?" I would like to hear other suggestions.

Annie Sims said...

Was the same too while was living in Hawaii few friends from other islands stayed in my massage clinic even let them use my car to get around. That’s how we are very kind loving people.

KimoRosen said...

"One lucky leprechaun awaits, puff the magic rainbow!" My attempt at humor? 

Skip Hipps said...

When i lived Kauai, my cousin from Kentucky called and Told me when she was arriving. Like you, I lived in a small apt on Kauaihau, and offered her my couch, I give up my bed for no one! I was working full time then, so she was pretty much on her own until the weekend. On sat, I took her on a tour of the island from a local point of view, trying to show her the true beauty of Kauai, not just the tourist traps. The canyon for sure, and the nature preserve at the light house among other spots.
I made sure to stop when I saw things to eat that I knew she had no clue. Gauva up in the canyon, along with the banana poke that were in season, stopped and bought some finger and apple bananas, then stopped when I saw a mountain apple tree in a person's yard. I went to the door and asked if I could pick a few, explaining why. Of course, they said yes, so she could try them.
After she returned home, she told all my relatives that I had to forage on the side of the road and from people's yards to eat.
Lesson learned, never help a backward redneck visit paradise!

Anonymous said...

Great story! ;-)

Carrie Eckert said...

Easy, say the place you are living in has certain restriction/ rules and you are not allowed additional people in your unit. We have a condo association rules. And we are only allowed a certain amount of people to stay with us. Each unit depending on the size has a limit. Your place even has requirements on how you got the place to live in. You can not jeopardize that.
Carrie

KimoRosen said...

True dat! ;-)

Sharon Vreeland said...

Awww...shucks. I am retiring this year and had planned to invite myself to Hawaii and then stay with you for 5 weeks! (just kidding). I do like getting a glimpse of your island through your blog, though.

KimoRosen said...

Watching Judge Judy, she just said, "Fish and house-guests begin to stink after 3 days!" ;-)

David Haas said...

Yeah it seems like everyone wants a free room. If I were single I would probably be putting up numerous people because I am a push over for stuff like that but not my wife she doesn't want any invasions in the household so it's much easier to decline.

Harmony Bentosinio said...

In reply to Judge Judy, That was my grandma's favorite expression.