www.thegardenisland.com

Monk Seal and Me...

Search This Blog

Monday, August 13, 2012

"Social media has changed our way of friendship..." 'James "Kimo" Rosen

Just because we do not agree on everything,
doesn't mean we can't be friends...

 This blog appeared as an  opinion article in the  09-06-12 edition of the  Kaua'i Garden Island news, "We can agree to disagree."  
http://thegardenisland.com/news/opinion/mailbag/letters-for-thursday-sept/article_fffd9c1a-f801-11e1-9ba6-0019bb2963f4.html


Society has changed quite a bit since the introduction of social media. people on facebook will unfriend you if you endorse a political candidate they don't like, or support a religion they are not.

 It used to be people could  be friends and have  differences of opinions, not any more. I named my dog Obama and my Republican friends no longer invite me to their weekly potlucks I used to be part of.
Many people have unfriended me on facebook. I support some Democrats, some Republicans , some Green,and some Independents. I consider myself to be an Independent.
It's either think exactly like me or get out of my life.
The following quote from Rick Warren says it all;
"Our culture has accepted two huge lies.
The first is that if you disagree with someones lifestyle, you must fear them or hate them.
The second is that to love someone means you agree with everything they believe or do.
Both are nonsense. You don't have to compromise convictions to be compassionate."

And if you don't agree with me I'm never talking to you again! 
Hana Hou, (Encore) Shared from Facebook...

10 comments:

Steven Eayrs said...

via LTE,Steven M Eayrs said, "The freindship is intact and never based on differences of opinion, but i do find your 1/2 truth statements a little annoying. Why not focus on good things that Obama has done instead of just throw insults? I would guess not many of your friends believe he's a closet muslim or many other things....but you choice to make it sound like these are the only reasons people want someone else in office. How about a putting up something might even present reasons your for Obama, instead of just throwing out comments that resemble a grade school arguement??"

KimoRosen said...

I guess if those friends read this, they won't be friends anymore, although I would still be friends wiith them, since that's the way Independents and Democrarts are

KimoRosen said...

OK Steven, Obama saved the American car Industry, took down Bin-laden and introduced health-care for all and on top he's tried to be bipartisan, he's a good family man and he cares about the country!

John Mancini said...

Via LTE, " Good job, Jim. I understand how you feel, and I agree. I presume you named your dog Obama because our country is going to the dogs!"

KimoRosen said...

Good one Mr. Mancini! ;D)

KimoRosen said...

via LTE,"Kimo...I've unfriended a few folks over time on Facebook, but not because I disagree with them. It was because their rhetoric became acidic, uncivil, fanatic, and out of all reason...regardless of their viewpoint. A couple were because I got tired of seeing 15-20 "inspirational" pic postings every 12 hours from them. I just sent you a friend request. If you can stand to read my postings, I can surely stand to hear yours, my friend, as I don't always agree with you, but respect your way of saying it. ;-)

Ruthann Jones said...

via LTE,"Kimo" Rosen......gotta love you!"
Ruthann Jones, California

Bettejo Dux said...

via LTE,"I love him, too, RUTHANN. I tease him all the time, "I can't stand your god but I love you," Hasn't faxed him yet. He makes the most delicious soup. Has the cutest dog, Obama is darling, she's been a house guest here. But I don't like Linda Lingle. So there.
KIMO only likes her because she's Jewish and that great wonderful ancient family sticks together. As KIMO says, "Blood is thicker than water."

Alien said...

via LTE,"Kimo, people who unfriend you because of your beliefs are not really friends. It seems the message that all of these political psychos are forgetting to post is something along the lines of, the need to respect each other needs, beliefs, and how they are going to compromise for the best possible living conditions for all. Until I see this message it is hard for me to support any candidate."

Keith Haugen said...

via LTE,"Right on,Kimo, you tell it like it is."