www.thegardenisland.com

Monk Seal and Me...

Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

"It's called Respect..." 'Glenn Mickens' (Kaua'i County Watchdog)

Glenn Mickens has lived on Kauai  with his wife Ruth for the last 26 years. Born July 26, 1930 in Wilmar, California, USA) was a pitcher in Major League Baseball. He pitched in four games (two of which were starts) for the 1953 Brooklyn Dodgers. He also played for five years in Japan, from 1959 until 1963 for the Kintetsu Buffaloes. There, he compiled a record of 45–53 with a 2.54 ERA.  Glenn also  served in the Army for 2 years and coached baseball at UCLA for 25 years. 
Last but not least Glenn would really like to see Kaua'i give the county manager style of Government a chance.
Above photo of Glenn Mickens courtesy of Kauai Garden island news, used with permission...


Mr. Mickens is locally known
as one of Kauai county's
political watchdogs
and Nitpickers...
Mahalos Glenn!
 It's called Respect


Editors note;
My good friend, fellow blogger and
opinion writer Mr. Glenn Mickens was
recently harshly criticized by a fellow
opinion writer in the Garden island news.
Enclosed is the link to the Letter that appeared in The Kaua'i Garden Island news.
This blog is Glenn's response to that Letter.  Dakinetalk backs our friend Mr.
Mickens in the Aloha spirit and as a county watchdog and thanks him for caring and doing all he does pro bono from his heart because he cares for the people and  aina (land) of Kauai!
Mayor, County Council and KPD Chief, I appreciate you~Aaron K. Ellegard,Sr.
http://thegardenisland.com/news/opinion/mailbag/letters-for-oct/article_f7e95da2-ef77-54bd-84db-32db57e83d44.html     (The letter cutting down our friend)

It's called Respect
  I have the greatest respect for the opinions of others even if I may not always agree with them. But since Mr Ellegard makes some false statements about me and my views (TGI 10/23) I wish to correct them.


His presumption that I have no respect for our administration, Council, Chief Perry and his staff as well as all state and county employees is completely false.

I ask that Mr Ellegard call Chief Perry or any of his officers and find out what
kind of respect they believe I have for him and all those other officers who 
protect us. 

Call our council members and even with some of our disagreements see how many of them respect me and my fellow government "watchdogs" for our testimonies. 


Call our State DOT ( Larry Dill or Ray McCormick) and see what they think of my opinions and the means by which I try and correct what is wrong. 

I believe that he will find that they all respect my 20 years of involvement and opinions even if we do not agree. With no other interest or motive in mind, I and my watchdog friends only want what is best for Kauai and all its citizens. And, many of those friends are "locals" just as you are.




Please don't feel sorry for me, Mr. Ellegard, because I really do have a wonderful life including a wife and family, live in one of most beautiful places on planet earth, had the opportunity to play professional baseball and to coach in my late years. 


P.S.
Check out Glenn's Wikipedia page;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenn_Mickens
Editor's note, Dakinetalk guest bloggers do not necessarily represent the opinions of dakinetalk. Guest bloggers are given space to express their beliefs and or opinions. We feel there are many roads and like to give people space to express their thoughts,after-all that's what dakine is...
Aloha, James "Kimo" Rosen---Blogger-n-chief, dakinetalk blog---

Kapaa Sunset
Sleeping Giant from my backdoor 
i-Phone photo by James "Kimo Rosen

Hana Hou, (Encore) 




8 comments:

KimoRosen said...

Mr. Mickens has my respect! Mickens is only trying to better Kauai! ;-) So people mis-interpret watchdogs!

Norma Doctor Sparks said...

Glenn Mickens also has my respect for trying to make Kauai better! Thanks, Glenn!

Glenn Mickens-by email said...

Again, Kimo it truly amazes me how you not only print the words of your bloggers but you get pictures of them and their activities to go with them!! I am on my limit typing and sending on my Mac so when I see what you do with not only my blogs but all the others I am really amazed---when do you sleep or eat.????
Your pal.
Glenn

Anonymous said...

For all local Kauai people please vote for Norma Doctor Sparks for Kauai county council!

Norma Doctor Sparks said...

Thanks for your support and encouragement!

Talon-3 said...


Although "nit-picker" is a term of respect(Mickens) around here,It was not always. I used the word "watchdogging " the other day Kimo and I hope you know I meant it as a true form of respect at the same level as serving his Korea time.

Your 07:54 is not misinterpreted by me anyway!

I am also the Talon-3/Eagle 6 commenter that to this day calls Mickens an "Ole Bear Kicker". I cannot remember what the subject matter was anymore ( about why I called him that), I just thought that this ole UCLA Bruin had what it took to get a big hungry bears attention! And he does !!

So, I want to clarify that this a true term of endearment. Absolutely impossible to know how many tens of millions+ he has saved us just by going prepared.

Anonymous said...


"your 07:54 was is not misinterpreted by me IN ANY way "I meant to say.

Well done people.

KimoRosen said...

TALON-3-WATCH-DOGGING, NIT-PICKER,WHATEVER- WE NEED MORE PEOPLE KEEPING A WATCHFUL EYE LIKE MR. MICKENS ON COUNTY ACTIVITY'S! Not yelling my caps locked! ;-)