www.thegardenisland.com

Monk Seal and Me...

Search This Blog

Thursday, September 20, 2012

"Who is Hawaiian..?" 'Michael A. Herr' (Aloha Friday)


Renowned author Michael Herr is back guest-blogging on this awesome Aloha Friday talking about  the definition of what it is to be Hawai'iaan?  Make sure and check out Michael's website at; http://www.michaelherr.com/


ALOHA FRIDAY-"No Work 'Til Monday" 

 Who is Hawaiian ?



Aloha folks.

Who can call themselves Hawaiian? A much-discussed, much-debated question.

According to the Federal Government, and the Office of Hawaiian Affairs, a Native Hawaiian (Kanaka Maoli) is anyone with at least one-half blood quantum . . . fifty percent Hawaiian blood. But native Hawaiian (note the small 'n') is anyone with any amount of Hawaiian blood. However, it's getting harder and harder to find Native Hawaiians (look up And Then There Were None on Amazon.com and get either/both the great book and the wonderful DVD). Now, how did the Feds and OHA arrive at that specific blood quantum? By fiat, imposed by the Federal Government over the objections of Prince Jonah Kuhio Kalaniana'ole when he could not get the Federal Government to agree to a lower percentage (one thirty-second was what he originally wanted). The higher percentage was passed because it was hoped/thought by those in Congress at the time that in this way the Hawaiian race would fade from view.

The dispute over blood quantum goes on to this day. Many opponents hold that there should be no blood quantum at all. That insistence on the use of blood quantum to define Native Hawaiians reduces Hawaiians to a racial minority. For further background, look into the "one-drop rule" for blacks and also check out the various blood quantum numbers for different Native American tribes.

I prefer Israel Kamakawiwo'ole's definition (given as a preface to a song he sang one night). I paraphrase - - - "A Hawaiian is anyone who holds Hawaii within their heart". According to Iz, I am Hawaiian. And I must say that I generally feel Hawaiian. Does this mean that tourists are Hawaiians? Not necessarily, but it does mean that they could be Hawaiians. It also means that when someone moves from Hawaii to some state (such as Nevada) they don't have to forsake their Hawaiian identity.

Forget the question of who can call themselves Hawaiian. Let's return to the topic question, Who is
Hawaiian? My answer, like Iz's, is that besides those born in Hawaii, besides those who move to Hawaii to live and work and play, besides those whose parents were Hawaiian but who moved far away . . . in addition to all those I believe that a Hawaiian is anyone who loves the islands, who longs for the islands, and who carries within them at all times the spirit of Aloha. The spirit of love, charity, caring, sympathy, compassion, grace and mercy. If these are within you, if you show these and act on these, and if you love the islands, then you are Hawaiian.

So, are you Hawaiian?

Okay folks, see you next week.

 Hana Hou, (Encore) Shared from Facebook...




check out Michael's website at http://www.michaelherr.com/ 

The opinions, beliefs and viewpoints expressed by the various authors and forum participants on this blog site do not necessarily reflect the opinions, beliefs and viewpoints of the Publisher of Dakinetalk the blog, but they could? ;D)

10 comments:

KimoRosen said...

Michael, I agree... In the same respect I actually believe those who move to Hawaii and make it their home show they are interested where many were just born here without a choice. The individuals who chooses their destiny is usually stronger in beliefs, just like the Christian who came to Christianity on their own and was not born into it.

KimoRosen said...

Send your guest blog submission of 200-300 words to; jrsensei@hotmail.com guestblogs become the property of dakinetalk and are not guaranteed to be published.

Chuck Lasker said...

Well said. We had to completely change our lives and careers - it took 3 years - to get to where we could move to Kauai. We sold everything - house, cars, stuff we'd accumulated during 28 years of marriage, taking only our luggage and having some boxes sent by mail. We don't see our families as much anymore, I lost clients due to the time difference, and we face racism and discrimination constantly so we can live here.

I am a member of the Rotary Club of Kauai, Sharon's in Lions. We each participate in several local nonprofits volunteering an average of probably 10-15 hours a week. We stay informed about and participate in local politics, fighting to protect Kauai's natural resources and helping create new opportunities for youth and adults. I am working on a program that should bring in literally millions of dollars per year to local nonprofits from off-island.

Then I meet "locals" who don't even know the names of the County Council members, who don't volunteer for anything, who throw trash out of their cars and leave piles of trash on the beach. And there's locals like Iseri-Carvalho who screw Kauai for personal gain.

Hey locals, tell me again why simply being born here by chance makes someone a better citizen of Kauai than someone who chooses to move here.

KimoRosen said...

Chuck love your comment, how in heck do you have time for facebook with all you do? I would welcome you as a guest-blogger on dakinetalk with any subject you are passionate about. Michael is my guest blogger every Aloha Friday, Bettejo writes every Classic Wednesday and a friend Judy writes every inspirational Monday, plus many now and then guests. You have a good intellect, if interested send me something 200-500 words a short 2-3 sentence bio with a photo, or I could just snack one from your FB page. Anyhow you have an open invitation should you ever decide...

KimoRosen said...

P.S. people like you and I are here by choice, not just by convenience of being born here. And for the record the word Haole does not mean white person from the mainland, it means without the spirit of life. The 'Ha' in Haole is the same 'Ha' as in AloHa. Anyone can be without spirit and love not just mainland caucasians...

Chuck Lasker said...

Well, the actual word haole is very different than how it is often used on island. Actually, many people use it without any malice. I have a friend who's local, half white half Japanese. I actually watched as a local woman asked him what race he was, which shocked me, then he said, "I'm half haole half Japanese." So I kind of like how race is openly discussed here - instead of the pretense of not being interested. The problem is with the "go home haole" attitude, which is meant as "white person not from here." I can't even imagine what these people would think if they went to North Carolina and someone yelled, "go home N*!" because on the mainland a lot of people think Hawaiians are black (as I've been told). They want it both ways - to be able to be racist while in the majority here, but not be judged by race elsewhere. The thing I really get upset about, though, is other haoles who excuse this attitude, or even have it themselves because they've been here longer. A white woman who's been here for 23 years actually said to me, "I normally don't like new people who come here, but I'll make an exception for you." I was shocked so didn't respond, but next time I'll be ready with, "that's interesting, I normally don't like haoles who think they're locals when they're really just old haoles."

Chuck Lasker said...

Thank you for the invite on your blog. I may come up with something.... or compile some things I've written on a topic in short bursts.... And that's how I do so much on Facebook - it's all short bursts, and I type almost as fast as I talk....

Chuck Lasker said...

BTW - feel free to quote me or use anything I post to Facebook any time you want.

KimoRosen said...

Chuck, many of your bursts could be blogs, I'll let you knw when I see one of your bursts I really like, Btw. My Hawaiian friend kuulei, who teaches Hula, and has performed since she was a little girl told me Haole is a derorgatory word, it's definitely like using the N word. It's usually used with the f-word in front of it. Ironically when I lived in Alaska many Hawaii people visited and the few that moved there were all ttreated like royalty... I am very sensitive to energy and I can feel stink eye and the hate that many of my friends will say what are you talking about, I just say you don't see it.

Michael A. Herr said...

I remember Don Ho talking about his days in the military and how when he went to the Mainland the locals didn't know what to make of him. He jokes about getting drunk one night and waking up on an Indian reservation.