|Gluten free has now taken|
over as the new fad.
Kimo's world #48
What the hay is gluten and why are so many afraid of it? All you hear lately is gluten free and how you will live forever by becoming gluten free, or something like that.
I went to a restaurant and they raved about gluten free tacos. I told them I like gluten and wanted gluten added to my tortilla. They looked at me like I was from outer space.
Gluten is a protein found in wheat, barley, and rye. Gluten also shows up in many whole grain foods related to wheat, including bulgur, spelt, farro, kamut, and triticale.
For a small number of people approximately 1% of the population gluten can be a matter of life or death. These people contain a condition known as celiac disease. For a good many of the remaining 99% of the population there seems to be an anti-gluten fad happening. Many swear by it and others call it a health nut hoax.
Living gluten-free may make you fat. There are some people who go off gluten as a means to lose weight and end up gaining weight instead. That's because they consume gluten-free packaged products that are often just as high in saturated fat, sugar and sodium as other junk food.
Jimmy Kimmel on his late night talk show did a segment on the streets of L.A. asking people who were on gluten free diets, what is gluten? The results were alarming yet hilarious, not one person could tell him what gluten was. Kimmel said it best;
"Some people can't eat gluten for medical reasons, but a lot of people in Los Angeles don't eat gluten because someone in their yoga class told them not to."
Therefore if your a hipster or anti, it's the new cool to be gluten free. I like the word free, but not when applied to gluten.
Now here's the real clincher. After spending many hours researching gluten, I still have no idea what the hell it is? all I can say is Gluten Smuten.
This same blog was published in The Garden Newspaper on 01-10-15. Check it out!
|This meme was used to promote this blog on Facebook!|
Check out Jimmy Kimmel's hilariousYouTube short asking people on gluten free diets, what is gluten?
An honest politician, a kind lawyer, and Santa Claus stepped off an elevator and spotted a $20 bill on the floor. Which one of them picked it up and claimed it for himself?
Santa Claus because the other two aren't real.
Hana Hou, (Encore) Shared from Facebook...