www.thegardenisland.com

Monk Seal and Me...

Search This Blog

Saturday, June 4, 2022

"The Submarine sandwich, rusted bike, and paying it forward..." 'James "Kimo" Rosen' (Kimo's world #332)

 

James "Kimo" Rosen is a retired professional photographer  
amongst other things is a Humorist writer.
Rosen currently resides on the tropical island of Kaua'i
                                         with his best friend and spiritual adviser,                                  
                                   Ivanka "Costco" Obama, The Bipartisan Dog!
                            Sunrise/Weather Photos, June- 2022
                                 These photos appeared on Hawaii News Now
          
                  Blog #2086~Kimo's world #332
The Submarine sandwich, rusted bike,
 and paying it forward
 
 
I try and go to Safeway

every Friday for what they call "$5.00 Fridays!" It’s where many items are sold at loss-leader prices to get you to come in.

Every Friday is my Sabbath, and I love my sushi on the Sabbath!

As many of you know, I either bike or bus as a means of transportation.

That Friday I drove my old rusted bike to Safeway. When going to crowded public places I take my old bike, it's less likely to get stolen than my newer well-kept bike. The bike rides like a gem but looks like a homeless person's bike.

When I get out of

the store after doing my "$5.00 Friday" bargain shopping, there is a footlong submarine sandwich and bottled water sitting in the basket! "Lucky we live Kauai!"

Some Good Samaritan must have wanted to do a mitzvah, (A good deed,)and pay

it forward and thought they’d be helping a poor houseless person? What a great gesture! However….
The Submarine is too much for me, plus I have a ton of food at home, my sushi,

and many other ono grinds.

I’m thinking, Lord,

help me find somebody I can pay this forward to who can enjoy it?
Low and behold a dude

I’ve known for many years who struggles financially and has five kids is sitting near the Safeway parking lot.

I say, Bruddah, do you

have use, and would your family like a fresh submarine sandwich?
"Mahalo."

We reminisced, talked story and

he said, 'the kids would really enjoy it.'
And that’s the story of the Submarine sandwich, rusted bike, and paying it forward! 

The Garden Island news did a rewrite of this blog as if they interviewed me
and published it in their Wellness section on Wednesday-06-08-22
under the title, "Paying it forward, Kauai style."
https://www.thegardenisland.com/2022/06/08/hawaii-news/paying-it-forward-kauai-style/
Also, the man who left the sandwich was found on social media!
Mahalo Jennifer L. Lovelett for sending me this... I thought I recognized his bike as belonging to one of our local houseless and blessed it with some goodies...
May be an image of bicycle and text that says 'sts n Paying it forward, Kaua'i style HEG "Kimo" James botlod houseless ifwad, heg What However, submarineis home, sushi. other grinds. ord, forward dude ears strug- known many financially sitting nea say, bruddah, would family fresh submarine sand- park- sandwich. ahalo, and talked for while, ending saying kids would re- joy "Kimo' Rosen' dog Ivanka outside the Waipouli recently. GAR eye Village'
Jaana Makipaa, Debra M Comstock and 8 others
8 Comments
Like
Comment
Share

8 Comments

Most relevant

Hana Hou (Encore) p.m.



2 comments:

comments from the original post which appeared on Facebook Friday,06-03-22 said...

Angie Haluapo
I love that story! ❤️
Reply21h
Michelle Juanita Cook Panoke
Awesome, you da man Kimo!!
Reply21h
UlyssesMelinda Kontos
Beautiful story ❤️ ♥️ 💕
Reply21h
Marcos Gandia
Reply21h
Brian Rosen
So wonderful!
Reply21h
Miwa Matsubayashi
Fantastic❗️
Reply20h
Rene Muraoka
God bless that person & your heart. What goes around comes around.

Reply20h
David Thompson
I have a bike, doesn't look quite as bad as yours but close. A lot of mine is aluminium, so rust is kept down. I have a basket on the front too.
Reply20h
James Kimo Rosen
David Thompson I do it so my bike doesn’t get ripped off? Nice bikes get stolen!I have another bike that’s
much better looking but ironically doesn’t ride as well…🤔
Reply20hEdited


Amy Kamakeeaina Bird
Cute!
Reply20h
Ron Kalnitz
I ride my bicycle every day, I try to get between 5 and 15 miles a day. On my every other day route in the same spot at the same time of day is a homeless guy named Tommy. One time a guy almost ran me over and Tommy jumped into action and since then we… See more
Reply19h
James Kimo Rosen
Ron Kalnitz Awesome 😎
Reply19h


Gerraine Maehara Santos
I worry about someone snatching ObamaIvanka. Maybe take her into Safeway. People here take their dog and unless someone complains, they don't bother. This was a cute and kind story.
Reply17h
James Kimo Rosen
Gerraine Maehara Santos Ivanka has been certified as a service dog for the last 13 years. I take her on all errands. She goes in the stores with me!🤙😎🐕
Reply15h
Gerraine Maehara Santos
James Kimo Rosen Great! Take her 24/7.
Reply5h


Stanford Doi
I love five dollar Friday’s Safeway I’m there too on the Big island 🏝
Reply11h
Rosemary Pahl-Palmer
A Mitzvah-Mitzvah! 😊
Reply8h
Joann Brech
SO GIVING OBAMA LOOKS CUTE BLESSINGS. JOJO BUBBLES
GIF may contain lopelope
Reply5h
Martie Law
Wow great story!
Reply5h
Melissa Frommer
That’s such a great story. Thanks for caring and sharing Good Samaritan you
Reply5h
Steven John MacVitie
May be an image of text that says 'X 56% Create Post Post Steven John MacVitie Public Album Off Kimo is a cool Braddah on da east side for years He looks homeless But isn't and is actually a Fixture on da island and is what makes Kauai so unique. Aloha Kimo'
Reply11m
James Kimo Rosen
Mahalo for da Kind words my bruddah, hope you're doing well!
Reply6m




Likes on Facebook from original posting from Friday, 06-03-22 said...

James Kimo Rosen
Linda Gross
Joann Brech
Kris Shakespeare
Robert Bitos Gandia
John Mancini
Rosemary Pahl-Palmer
Brian Rosen
Rene Muraoka
Marcos Gandia
Cali Gullion
UlyssesMelinda Kontos
Jason Gross
Richard Fudeman
Helena Tanner Wooden Cooney
Angie Haluapo
Janie Quigley-Westerhout
LeeAnne Nago
Glenn Hermann
Jacob Isaac
Wynne Moss Abernathy
Tabe Aulikki Slioor Knight
Beatrice Kauilani Lemke-Newman
Linda Meyers
Dave Moresi
Ron Kalnitz
Stanford Doi
Patsy Rapozo
Cheryl Eayrs Olstad
Mimi Tolva
Robert-Ann Kauailani
Deborah Anne
Lorie Smith
Christine Muscarella Frost
Rhona Cabading
Rod Young
Amy Kamakeeaina Bird
Donna Glen Hirabayashi
W Lee Chin
Douglas Meeker
Sharon Vreeland
Steve Kajihiro
Glenn Cravez